To challenge valley students to experience the benefits of goal setting, character development, adult mentoring and improved physical health through a structured training program culminating in the running and completion of the Modesto Marathon.
Provide teacher/trainers to lead students through the 26 week program, developing the student’s skills in goal setting, discipline and personal responsibilities.
Through mastering increasingly difficult running goals, develop a ‘can do’ attitude that students will carry over into school work and life.
Introduce students to a physically and mentally healthy activity that would lead to a healthier and more productive lifestyle.
Who do we serve?
Although ‘at-risk’ students are the program’s target group, we encourage all students regardless of ethnicity or socio-economic status to participate and enjoy the benefits and satisfaction of completing the program.
County and City Secondary school systems students over the age of 15 on race day are our primary focus. Younger students 12 to 14 years of age will be accepted and may be limited to participating in the half marathon.
We will also welcome youth who are being mentored through social organizations or probation programs.
What does the program provide?
- A 26 week training program
- New running shoes, once set milestones are achieved
- Paid entry to local races and the Modesto Marathon
- Free attendance at the Modesto Marathon pre race pasta dinner
- Training shirt, running socks, and hydration equipment
- Coaching and mentoring
- Snacks and fluids for training runs
- Clinics on injury prevention and running nutrition
- Transportation to the training runs and races
- Marathon race singlet
- Student Physical under CHDP program if private insurance is not available